Thursday, February 22, 2024

Nine Foot Tall & Bullet Proof No More

 


On Saturday morning, February 10th, it was a quiet winter’s morning on Grays Hollow. As I headed down to the dock, not one person was stirring. Little did I know that fact alone would play a significant role in what was about to happen in a lightning quick moment that would launch my 79 years on the planet before my very eyes.

Many years ago we had discarded a water slide, but not the associated water spigot plumbed through the decking to provide a water supply to the slide. In one giant step, as I headed for other side of the dock, I tripped and was launched head-long towards the vacant, but largest of our three slips. As I surfaced, I immediately realized the gravity of the situation…especially with a zip-up hoodie sweatshirt on that now felt like it weighed around 50-plus pounds. My thoughts were confined to identifying a route outta’ this predicament and my utter lack of respect for life jackets over the years.

On any given Saturday during the boating season, thousands of people would have been found enjoying those healing waters of Dripping Springs, but today, when I needed them most, there wasn’t a soul in site. I can’t deny some thoughts about life threatening events in my life like cancer, a tour of duty in Vietnam as a Marine, Pneumonia and a few near misses during night-time boating. But the thought my beloved pond might lead to my demise was unthinkable.. The water temp was in the low forties, my route of escape was lengthy when a voice from our house shouted, “Do you need help?”

I started to respond with one of my smart-ass one liners, instead I decided “Yes Dear” would be an appropriate response. My heaven-sent angel made her way to the dock and the first order of business was shedding that heavy hoodie, getting a rope to help me navigate across the open slip, get the pontoon off the lift and access its ladder to rescue my arse. But….that’s when Murphy reared his ugly head!

We’ve had that pontoon for over two years but had never had the ladder in the down position since these days our swimming takes place mostly off our dock. Now check this out Mr. McClure, neither of your clients were smart enough to get the ladder in the down position. By this time my amphibious training, complements of the good ‘ol USMC, was becoming stressed…On to the next objective!

The wet-steps ladder was in sight and this near-miss was about to come to an end. Cold, num and a little battered and bruised, but as I like to say, “Still Upright.” After making my way to the house, taking a hot shower and starting to ponder the entire morning’s events, I realized just how fortunate I had been. I remembered how many times I had stumbled over that spicket and how now job one would be its removal. An intervention movement was underway within my family to ban me from frequenting the dock alone. Mentally I hired Harvey Spector and Mike Ross from the hit Netflix series Suits, to negotiate my case. Since they never lose, we settled on the use of a water-activated life jacket at all times.

On Grand Lake, the official water safety police is headed up by Lake Patrol Chief Brian Edwards and he has the uniform to prove it. When I told him my story, he said, “Ever heard of the 50/50 rule?”  I had not so he went on to explain: “A fifty-year-old person has a 50 -50 chance of surviving 50 minutes in fifty degree water.” The prognosis of a 79-year-old man in 40-something degree water wasn’t a scenario I wanted to think about. I started to clearly appreciate the gravity of the situation. I’m now a lifejacket advocate and hope all Grand Lakers will join in that effort. Tragedy can strike ever so fast from the least likely of places. As I said, “”Nine foot tall and bulletproof no more.”

See Ya’ Around the Pond!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Allure of that Grandest Older Woman

Grand Laker for life, Rusty Fleming When I laid my eyes on her for the first time in 1970, I was stunned by her beauty as this flatlander ha...