Friday, September 1, 2023

Labor Day Weekend Will Always Remain Special

Just like the alcoholic remembering that first drink, I can remember that first weekend as a Grand Lake property owner like it was yesterday. It was the Friday prior to the Labor Day weekend 1976. I had just walked out of Pidgeon Riley’s office, yeah, the now famous Diana Riley Patterson’s daddy, following the close on my Grand Lake dream. I pondered if I might have bitten off more than I could chew, paying $18,100 for a lake retreat, but having no idea what a major impact it would have on my life.

Calm waters post Labor Day
That was 47 years ago and the Grand Old Lady and yours truly have seen a lot of water pass through the turbines throughout the years. That, which seems like a small investment now, would become a permanent home in 1981 as I said goodbye to corporate life and the security of a damn good job with the Bell System. And here we are, ready to celebrate that 47th anniversary on the pond.

Lot of memories, grand times, few regrets, not as much money as the metroplex may have served up, but a lifestyle that is enjoyed by few. The look of my perch above Grays Hollow has changed, like many of the people over the years, but it remains our home base.

Many have asked why we remain on one of the busiest and most popular coves on Grand Lake when we could have moved to a nicer and quieter location on our beloved pond. I give the same answer as when asked if I wouldn’t like to live in Florida or some other place offering up a more constant climate; it’s the seasons of Grand Lake I look forward to each and every year.

In the fall for example, I think it’s the very best with quiet days, fabulous color and a good majority of our weekend friends have headed back to the big city to do whatever it is they do. I even enjoy the beauty and wintertime adventures provided by deep snow, power outages and the challenge of just navigating up our driveway. Then spring rolls around and just as we anticipate the nesting wood ducks and the return of some 30 pairs of Purple Martins who call the Waldorf atop our dock home for the season, we look forward to seeing our thousands of friends return to Grays Hollow. Florida is no match for what old Lady Grand brings to the table.

It’s been a great 47 years and perhaps the most enjoyable part has been meeting the people along the way. Many have come and gone, due to personal choices or it just ended up with their time on this earth having expired, but they continue to cycle in and out. On Grays Hollow, I think the only original player remaining property owner is Tom Gilbert, a DDS who terrorized children for a living before the golden years. Some of the newbies, those with less than thirty years of Grand Lake enjoyment under their belts, would include the Cummins, Stavas, Tinkers, Veitchs, Sappingtons, Smejkals, the Jones/Allgood and many, many more, but it has always been cheap entertainment to watch the new kids on the cove as they customize their new piece of heaven and yell at people about no wake.

One of Grays Hollows newest addition, at least within eye-sight of our joint, are the Bowmans, Janet and Troy, hailing from Nowata…We’ve dubbed them the Nowata Nation because of the gang of folks they enjoy entertaining. Watching them, with my beverage of choice in hand, as they test drive and utilize most of the lake toys on the market today, reminds me of days gone by. Call it maturity or just graduating to senior Laker status.

But we have rookies, being defined as ten years or less on our cove as well. Jimmy Lewis, Joe & Shelley Duvall, Phil & Debbie Snodgrass, The Cobles and some I’m sure I’ve overlooked.

Watching people have fun, entertain their friends and making memories not found on a city cul-de-sac are what makes this place so special….Still enjoying the ride after 47 years! Be safe our there!

See Ya’ Around the Pond!


1 comment:

  1. Hey there Rusty... Yes it has been a good ride so far. I didn't move here till next month as a full timer. Started out in the back of the swamp that is now known as Rapier Hollow... Before Russ showed up. Have moved around the south end of the lake a few times. Ketchum cove, Duck Creek and then 40 years ago ended up in Drowning Creek. I love and agree with all of your sentiments on how things have changed over time.

    ReplyDelete

The Allure of that Grandest Older Woman

Grand Laker for life, Rusty Fleming When I laid my eyes on her for the first time in 1970, I was stunned by her beauty as this flatlander ha...